OTTOMAN BANK MUSEUM COLLECTION

SALT GALATA

3 Obm Saltgalata Personel Hikâyeleri
Osmanlı Bankası Müzesi Koleksiyonu
SALT Galata, Kat 3, 2017
Fotoğraf: Mustafa Hazneci
Personnel Stories
Ottoman Bank Museum Collection
SALT Galata, Floor 3, 2017
Photograph: Mustafa Hazneci
Ottoman Bank Museum (OBM) spreads throughout the floors of SALT Galata—the bank's head office building between 1892 and 1999. The digital presentations of Turkey's first private bank museum detail the 145-year history of the bank from its foundation and the head office building to its branch network and the personnel.

A selection of documents, photographs, architectural drawings, illustrations, and newspaper clippings from the OBM collection reflects the last half-century of the Empire, as well as the foundation of the Republic, and the socio-political transformations during this transitional period. The foundation and transformation of the bank is portrayed on floor -1, while the construction of the head office building, the development of the branch network, and personnel stories are presented on the ground floor, first floor, and third floor respectively. These interactive presentations are accompanied by physical archival materials such as banknotes, journals, shares, personnel photographs in addition to customer and personnel files in the vaults at SALT Research Ferit F. Şahenk Hall.

About the Ottoman Bank
Ottoman Bank was established in Istanbul by British entrepreneurs Peter Pasquali and Stephen Sleigh with Queen Victoria's charter dated May 24, 1856. With the aim of entering the developing commercial banking sector of the Ottoman Empire, the bank opened in Saint Pierre Han in Galata with around 20 officers. The institution was elevated to the status of a state bank and was renamed the Imperial Ottoman Bank with a decree from Sultan Abdülaziz on February 4, 1863. The branch network gradually expanded and spread throughout the Empire from Tripoli and Benghazi in Libya to Hodeidah in the Hejaz and Basra in southern Iraq. Losing all its state functions and titles with the establishment of the Central Bank, the institution reverted to its private bank status in 1931. It was acquired by Doğuş Group in 1996 and merged with Garanti Bank in 2001, thus officially terminating its activities.
Share